Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Atlas Shrugged

I finally finished reading (actually listening by audiobook) the book Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, which was recommended to me by Scott a couple months ago.  Yes, it took me that long to finish, but it was well worth it.  
And coincidentally there was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal a few days ago, comparing the plot of the book to our current economic woes and the government's attempt to fix things.  As I was reading (er, listening to) the book, I couldn't help compare the plot of the nationalization of the US economy and various other "People's States," the looters taking over the government, and the ensuing economic crisis to what is happening right now in the real world.  It is quite timely and relevant, and that analysis has been done by Stephen Moore at the WSJ in the above article.
I have no other commentary other than that I highly recommend the book.  Even if you do not agree with every aspect of the underlying philosophy, it is worth the intellectual stimulation.  And it is not a philosophy that is readily heard today.

No comments:

Post a Comment